Arcane Update 4.0 introduces a new way to play The Unspoken: Spar Mode!
In Spar Mode, arch-mages battle for points in timed matches. Matches are unranked, so the stakes are lower. It’s a great way for new players to hone their spell casting skills, and a great way for seasoned players to experience a new facet of the Chicagoland underground.
We developed Spar Mode as a direct result of some great feedback from our community. We heard loud and clear that many players want a chance to learn the game in a more forgiving environment. That makes sense, because much of The Unspoken explores new ground—casting spells in VR is a brand-new player experience, and we’re learning the finer points of training a deep Touch game with a high skill cap.
You’ll perfect your technique in a deathless match, without the threat of near-instant obliteration at the hands of an ascendant adversary. You’ll earn points by targeting your opponent—or by targeting Orbs that spawn in the arena. You’ll auto-collect Embers, and you’ll gather Artifacts during the match by breaking Orbs. It’s a modified ruleset, built with the same fun interactions.
We set out to create a mode that’s inviting for players of all skill levels. A mode that helps new players close the skill gap and prepare for the ranked game. And ultimately—we hope!—a mode that gets high-ranked players into Duels faster by drawing from a larger matchmaking pool. We want Spar and Duel to enjoy a beautifully symbiotic relationship.
More modes are on the way in 2017, including the still-secret most requested thing ever. In the meantime, what do you think of Spar Mode? Let us know on our channels. We’re listening! And… Ever Watching!
Full Update Notes
Season 1: The slate is clean; the leaderboard is reset. Ascend the ranks–top players earn rewards at the end of the season.
- Spar Mode: Battle for points in timed matches in this new unranked mode! Master the art of spellcasting with lower stakes and an all-new way to play.
- Midway Pier Arena: Duel for supremacy in a long-vacant amusement park. The concession tents glow once again with electric light.
- Tournament Cloaks: It’s time for The Unspoken Tournament at Microsoft Stores across North America! Celebrate with new crimson tournament cloaks.
- Friends Leaderboard: How do you rank against your Oculus friends? Find out here!
Tuning and Fixes
- Plate Glass: Increased the health of all Plate Glass charge tiers.
- Plate Glass: Reduced the duration of a minimum charged Plate Glass.
- Plate Glass: Reduced size of fully charged Plate Glass.
- Chaos Skull: Added speed boost immediately after being cast.
- Force Bubble: Added new behavior. Enemy spells entering the bubble now stop for the entire shield duration.
- Mass Drop: Added new behavior. All cars now travel to where the player is looking if no car is already there.
- Mass Drop: Added a Cooldown between successive volleys.
- Disc of Blades: Reduced the max speed of both a minimum charge and curved Disc of Blades.
- Disc of Blades: Increased the visibility of Disc of Blades.
- Spectral Cloak: Increased the number of Spectral Crystals formed by a minimum charged cloak.
- Spectral Cloak: Increased cloak health.
- Wild Cards: Reduced projectile speed.
- Spectral Knives: Changed the number of charge states to three.
- Celestial Dome: Increased the health of a minimum charged Celestial Dome.
- Celestial Dome: Reduced the duration of a minimum charged Celestial Dome.
- Vermin: Increased flight speed.
- Shatter Mine: Increased the health for both charge tiers.
- Shatter Mine: Reduced the fuse time for both charge tiers.
- Shatter Mine: Reduced the damage for both charge tiers.
- Infernal Contract: Further reduced the health penalty for signing the contract.
- Aerogramme: Increased the health of each plane.
- Dispelling Censer: Reduced the size of the dispel AOE.
- Dark Tag: Triggering Dark Tag no longer removes the other traps.
- Map Table: Renamed tab headings for clarity.
- Map Table: Added an arena selection context.
- Primal Shields: Increased the recharge delay.
- Primal Shields: Reduced shield damage taken from primals when blocked with shield center.
- Voice Chat: Enabled voice chat by default.
- Progression: Added checks to ensure that unlocked items remain accessible.
***Note: In the rare event that previously unlocked items are locked–and the game defaults to the starter loadout and Anarchist–please immediately force-close the game and reload. You MUST force close (do not exit via the menu) to avoid overwriting your save file. We are currently investigating this bug.